gnubol: Re: Cobol Compiler Suggested Tasks

Rich,

On the timing six weeks to start should not be an issue. Anyway
there is sure to be plenty left to do in six weeks!

The XP apprach to timing is that you normally timebox things. If
something is not done after the timebox it gets reassigned. At
some point with lack of progress tasks will get reassigned but
there will be plenty of warning. Months not weeks anyway at this
stage.

I have defined nothing about the interface to the file IO. Come
up with a rought first cut and we will go
from there.

I guess you would be passed some kind of file handle, an
operation code (read write etc) and any data you need. I think
with read there is a complexity...

If you say "read file-01" then the record read from the file is
in effect available to all the 01 records in the FD for that
file, regardless of length. There is no space filling or
truncation. If you say read file-01 into rec-01 then it also gets
copied into rec-01 and truncated or space filled as needed.

I think probably the code generated by the compiler should do the
move truncate etc, so your interface for a read may look like
this

cobr_read(file_handle, char** record_ptr_address, int * length,
int * status_info)

(or it may not, that it completely off the top of my head. I have
not even read the standard on file IO - defintiely worth doign
before coding). Probably also need some more diagnostic
infomation for when things go wrong.

As you see I like to keep it simple.

Feedback on the doco is welcome also,

Don't wreck your back moving!