Re: gnubol: [ri-leon@uniandes.edu.co: [GNU Project] Cobol Compiler]

Tim Josling wrote:

> Ricardo,
>
> There are plenty of things to do.
>
> If you can write C you can help now, if you know Cobol, it will
> have to wait. Do you know the Lex and Yacc tools, even better. If
> you are running Linux that will help, but it is not essential. Do
> you have any books on Cobol, or a copy of the Cobol standard? You
> can download the Fujitsu Cobol manuals or the draft Cobol 2002
> standard if neccesary.
>
> You can see where I have gotten up to on the core compiler at
> http://www.geocities.com/timjosling/cobol.html. The core compiler
> is working on a tiny part of the language, but I am progressing
> fast now, because all the hard problems have been solved. At the
> moment I am working the last big problem which is integrating
> with the GCC memory management.
>
> The main need at the moment is runtime routines for any of the
> cobol verbs eg display, search/all etc. These are fairly self
> contained. This would need C skills at the moment.
>
> If you email me the details of the skills you have I can suggest
> a few small tasks for you to start with. Later you could take
> over various areas of the compiler.

Ooh, Ooh!, Me too!

I'm good at COBOL (Mainframe and MF), and own a COBOL II manual (why? I
don't know--it was free)--I do COBOL for a living.  I'm fairly good in
C--still working on Socket/Network programming, but am perfectly capable
of writing tight memory/thread safe code.  Knowing Accepted Practices
always helps, but I can wing it if necessary.  For Lex and Yacc, I
understand the syntax and structure.  Still working on techniques.
Trying to make a MySQL sql preprocessor towards that end.

I know gcc and make (how do you use Linux without that??).

Well, That's me.  I'm happy to work on assigned work, but I don't know
quite where to jump in at.

Glad to see this is still going...
--
Matthew Vanecek