Re: gnubol: [ri-leon@uniandes.edu.co: [GNU Project] Cobol Compiler]

Ricardo,

There are plenty of things to do.

If you can write C you can help now, if you know Cobol, it will
have to wait. Do you know the Lex and Yacc tools, even better. If
you are running Linux that will help, but it is not essential. Do
you have any books on Cobol, or a copy of the Cobol standard? You
can download the Fujitsu Cobol manuals or the draft Cobol 2002
standard if neccesary.

You can see where I have gotten up to on the core compiler at
http://www.geocities.com/timjosling/cobol.html. The core compiler
is working on a tiny part of the language, but I am progressing
fast now, because all the hard problems have been solved. At the
moment I am working the last big problem which is integrating
with the GCC memory management.

The main need at the moment is runtime routines for any of the
cobol verbs eg display, search/all etc. These are fairly self
contained. This would need C skills at the moment.

If you email me the details of the skills you have I can suggest
a few small tasks for you to start with. Later you could take
over various areas of the compiler.

Tim Josling