Re: [GNU-COBOL] New to list

"Justin C. Ferguson" wrote:

> When last we left our heros, they were speaking of:
> >
> > Is there a checklist of COBOL features?  COBOL doesn't have that many
> > native data types, does it?  I have this idea that writing a COBOL to
> > Perl
> > translator would be a straightforward ten hours of iterating over pages
> > of the spec and implementing them one by one.
>
>         That's a nice _thought_.  There's a lot of pages of COBOL spec to
>         iterate over, however, and handwriting that much parser is no fun,
>         and definitely more than a 10-hour job.  I'd have to argue that
>         Perl is probably not the best choice of languages to translate to,
>         just due to maintainability issues.  I love perl, but for something
>         like this it seems that C is a much better choice for a language
>         to translate to.  (Not to mention a lot of work has already been
>         done in that direction.)
>
>                                                                 JF
>
> PS>  David - I note that you're listed as the contact for KansasCity.pm...
>      is KansasCity.pm an active group, and if so, are there any meetings
>      scheduled soon?

We've been tending to get together over a free cookie after the
kcwebmasters meetings on the third thursday of every month at
Rockhurst college south campus.  You can join the mailing list
by submitting the form at http://tipjar.com/kcpm
although the machine at pm.org that runs the lists had a disk crash
last week and might not be quite up yet.

Do you have an idea for a meeting?  (writing the cobol.xs module
in a stellar burst of cooperation perhaps -- we just need a basement
and several 2-liter bottles of root beer and everyone takes a week
off