Re: [GNU-COBOL] New to list

Alejandro Nestor Vargas wrote :

> >  And,
> > finally, is there still enough interest in this project to get it done?
>
> Many people is saying "cobol is dead" from many years. But it still alive
> and still being used. I think there must be interest in a gnu implementation
> of cobol, because gnu software is growing up everyday. A gnu cobol
> compatible with commercial implementation of cobol may let many software to
> be migrated to linux, bsd or other platforms.

Sure. I'm actually working on a Java/Cobol/DB2/SAS (quite big) project. It's
running on Unices platforms like AIX or Sun. I'd like to have a
demo-on-the-pocket made with a LinuxBox. So what I need ?
- DB2, because our server side is based on. Hopefully, IBM released its DB2 UDB
on Linux Cool. It comes with a cobol/java/C SQL preprocessor. Too cool.
- Java, Okay, it "works" :)
- Cobol... How do I build my 800+ stored procedures and programs on my pretty
Linux box ?

Hey, I NEED GNU Cobol ! because an RS/6000 don't fit on my suitcase !

So, is there a commercial cobol compiler for Linux ? give me its name if so. It
could help me waiting your outstanding smart GNU Cobol compiler !

Keep on the work !

	Seb.
--
« Notre tête est ronde pour permettre
 à la pensée de changer de sens. »             Sébastien Ducléroir