Re: gnubol: Linux on S/390

Linux on the S/390 is just like Linux on any other hardware. It's ASCII,
and it's big endian. So far, my experiences with taking software to the
mainframe Linux have shown that, usually, it's just a recompile. Some
software has to be tweaked for endian issues, but that's rare (xdoom was
one that I had to dink with some). Since it's really Linux, there's no
JCL, no VSAM (yet) and no PDS (yet). IBM will be providing DB2 access
through DB2 Connector soon, and have promised UDB for 4Q00 I think, or
maybe 1Q01.

As far as GCC goes on the mainframe, I don believe that someone (David
Pitts?)
has it working (to some degree, at least) on USS, so there may be an
opportunity (to open a can of worms) there, as well.

-Michael