RE: [Fwd: gnubol: Record delimiter clause and parse order]

Did this "discussion" get resolved while I was off email (at the J4 and WG4
meeting)?

"RECORD SEQUENTIAL" (*not* delimited) is ANSI/ISO conforming (and required)

"LINE SEQUENTIAL" ("delimited) is a "common" extension on many (most?) UNIX
(and PC) type environments.  This need NOT be included in an ANSI/ISO
compiler

There are two ways of "distinguishing" these two types of files that are in
common usage. (some compilers support BOTH - with rules as to which overrides
the others)

1) In the Select/Assign clause allow LINE/RECORD SEQUENTIAL in the
organization phrase.  RECORD *must* be optional - and if nothing is specified
(at all) for organization, then you should ge RECORD SEQUENTIAL files.
(Medium "useless" on PCs and UNIX - but "useful" for other COBOL
applications - and ANSI/ISO conforming).

2) A compiler directive to "change" how the ORGANIZATION IS SEQUENTIAL phrase
is "interpreted".  In ANSI/ISO mode, it is taken as "RECORD SEQUENTIAL" -
when "overridden" it means LINE SEQUENTIAL.