Re: gnubol: GNU Ada

IN posting valuable comments about GNU Ada,
in a message dated 12/29/99 3:36:15 PM EST, tej@melbpc.org.au writes:

<< It also has full wide character support,
 even for compiler source - so identifiers can even be in chinese
 characters!

We may want to give some consideration to wide character data at some point
soon. XML will be a vehicle to move displays of major repositories on the
net, and it's international orientation has lead way into UTF (-8 and -16).
We also have some codebase issues with big blue's EGCS and DBCS.

There was some discussion a while back about adding an attribute to a POINTER
(as an extension) that could make it iterate by 16 bit units when
incremented/decremented rather than 8 bit units (I think we were calling that
a CLARK pointer, and ranting about how to isolate experimental code).

These aligators are all around us. Just waiting for us to expand the size of
this effort before
they devour us.

Getting the source code in fancy text format is another issue, I think.
Should we read your comments, Tim, to be a voluntary revision of the
preprocessor to UTF? :-)

Best Wishes,
Bob Rayhawk
RKRayhawk@aol.com