Re: gnubol: Problem 10

At 04:29 PM 12/27/99 +1100, Tim Josling wrote:
>RKRayhawk@aol.com wrote:
>> <snip>
>
>I will think about this. My reasons from memory were that I was
>not happy the symbol table was incomplete so I wanted to have the
>syntax do as much work as it could because there may be cases
>where a data name and a procedure name coincide. But I have not
>thought it through fully.

Tim, Bob is correct that there is no ambiguity.  Your concern regarding
name-overloading is unnecessary.  COBOL does not allow name overloading.
Although COBOL 200x will allow certain words to be "reserved in context",
thus allowing them to be overlaoded as data/procedure names, it will
continue (as far as I know) to retain a single name-space.

The only case where the token that follows PERFORM is not already in the
symbol table, is when that token is a reserved word, or when this token is
a procedure name and the PERFORM is a PERFORM procedure-name, and
procedure-name is/should be defined later (and wasn't referenced earlier).

When you have a PERFORM SOME-NAME and SOME-NAME was defined in the data
division, you have a PERFORM n TIMES.
When you have a PERFORM SOME-NAME and SOME-NAME was defined in the
procedure division, you have a PERFORM procedure-name.
), not previously encountered as a procedure, and not previously referenced
as a procedure.