Re: gnubol: Hacks needed to parse COBOL

Tim,
You have me confused now.  If there are problems with the definition of
*M*, than the program is non-conforming, and so long as you issue an error
message that flags *M* as invalid, your compiler has done its bit.

As I recall, my point was that you don't need "infinite look-ahead" for the
reduction of the PERFORM, because in the context of PERFORM *M* *n* TIMES,
*M* is reduced to a symbol-reference form, that is not a literal and not a
reserved word.   If *M* is valid, than either it is not yet tabulated, or
it is tabulated as a Procedure which is either not yet defined (only
previously referenced) or already defined.  It cannot be confused with *n*
because *n* is either a literal or a guaranteed-to-be-defined data-name.