Re: gnubol: How do we parse this language, anyway?

  Bill> OK, now I am totally confused.  One of the notes on this
  Bill> topic said, "Three compilers, Micro Focus on alpha/tru64,
  Bill> Fujitsu on MS Windows and Wang ReSource either on HP/UX or
  Bill> AIX accepted such programs without warnings."

  Bill> I just tried it (the attached program) with Fujitsu and it
  Bill> gets just as severe a message as I would expect.  Now, I know
  Bill> that Micro Focus *will* accept this - and issue a FLAGSTD
  Bill> (FIPS) message indicating that it is an extension.

You're right, of course.  I misremembered Tim's message in which he
reported that Fujitsu bound conditionals to the closest eligible
preceding verb.

  Bill> If you want to add it as an extension (which I still don't
  Bill> understand WHY) at least try and figure out how many other
  Bill> compilers really DO support it (and as I expected, don't
  Bill> count Fujitsu in that list - nor IBM I am positive - but will
  Bill> wait to hear the "official" version on).

I find myself in a strange position advocating this extension.  I am,
by nature, a language conservative and usually pretty chary about
extensions.  I'm willing to back down if we can determine that IBM
doesn't support it.  Which of their compilers are in wide enough use
to pay attention to?

  Bill> NOTE: There really are "useful" extensions that I would fully
  Bill> support - don't think that I am "anti-any extension" - but
  Bill> this is just one that I don't see the need for, nor the
  Bill> advantage of having.

I favored doing it because I believe it is easy and safe, despite your
recollections of the MF implementation.  I don't think it adds a lot
of value.

  Bill> P.S. For example, I will certainly support the following
  Bill> fairly common extensions:

   GoBack

Agreed.

   Comp-3 (as Packed-Decimal)
   Comp-1 and Comp-2 (as floating point)

I'd like to have a dialect switch for these.

   Comp-5 (as defined in X/Open CAE)

This one is unfamiliar to me.  Strange that they're using a comp-n
instead of naming it.

   Trunc/Notrunc compiler option

Yes.

   Use of apostrophe (single quote) in addition to quotation mark

Used interchangably with the same meaning, I trust.  I agree.

   inline comments

Good.  Who implements them and how?

   z-literals (null-terminated strings
    - can also be done with Concatenation expressions)

Maybe. Who implements concatenation and how?

   and MANY others (from IBM, from Micro Focus,
   from X/Open, from draft of next Standard, etc)

I'll presume you support them selectively.