RE: gnubol: How do we parse this language, anyway?

OK, now I am totally confused.  One of the notes on this topic said,

"Three compilers, Micro Focus on alpha/tru64, Fujitsu on MS Windows and
Wang ReSource either on HP/UX or AIX accepted such programs without
warnings."

I just tried it (the attached program) with Fujitsu and it gets just as
severe a message as I would expect.  Now, I know that Micro Focus *will*
accept this - and issue a FLAGSTD (FIPS) message indicating that it is an
extension.

If you want to add it as an extension (which I still don't understand WHY) at
least try and figure out how many other compilers really DO support it (and
as I expected, don't count Fujitsu in that list - nor IBM I am positive - but
will wait to hear the "official" version on).

NOTE:  There really are "useful" extensions that I would fully support -
don't think that I am "anti-any extension" - but this is just one that I
don't see the need for, nor the advantage of having.

P.S. For example, I will certainly support the following fairly common
extensions:
   GoBack
   Comp-3 (as Packed-Decimal)
   Comp-1 and Comp-2 (as floating point)
   Comp-5 (as defined in X/Open CAE)
   Trunc/Notrunc compiler option
   Use of apostrophe (single quote) in addition to quotation mark
   inline comments
   z-literals (null-terminated strings - can also be done with Concatenation
expressions)
   and MANY others (from IBM, from Micro Focus, from X/Open, from draft of
next Standard, etc)

Bill Klein
  wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com