Re: [GNU-COBOL] New to list

Davyd Ondrejko wrote:
> That means that
>         15  MY-VAR1         COMP SYNC   PIC 999..
> would be valid, but
>         15  MY-VAR1         PIC 999.   COMP SYNC.
> would not be.  Why would you want to do that?  I don't know, but them's
> the rules.

The reason appears to be that in the second case it is not clear
whether the first fullstop is part of the picture of an end of
sentence type fullstop. Not having the picture in quotes causes
all sorts of problems for compilers.

>  I'm not sure
> that the storage of 5 digit values in a variable declared as 9(4) is
> "standard" COBOL.

As I read the standard the results are undefined. IBM has a
trunc(bin) option to control what happens (from memory).