Re: [GNU-COBOL] GNU-COBOL list reborn

Just curious.  From the various discussions I've read here it would appear that different parts of parsing the grammar are problems for different techniques.

Would it be possible to split up the job?  Have one parser take care of simplifying one part of a source and then pass it on to the next parser which can handle the output of the first plus, at least some of, what's left of the original COBOL?

I know that many compilers I have used have used multiple steps to compile programs (as many as 16), I wonder if this might be why?

>>> Michael McKernan <mck@tivoli.mv.com> 10/26/99 10:55PM >>>
<snip>
Chad, do you really think parsing COBOL is such a bear?  I have
always considered it a fairly modest part of the compiler effort, and
I've always had to do it without tools.  As you may remember, I am
your resident pccts champion, and I consider pccts particularly well
suited to COBOL.  Did you ever apply the patches to the old grammar
that I sent you a few months ago?