Re: [GNU-COBOL] Quiet on the list?

When last we left our heros, they were speaking of:
> First apologies.  D**n Novell GroupWise mail client doesn't know how to quote properly (or maybe I don't know the setting).  Bear with me.

> Boris Kortiak wrote :>
>
> >1)  Has anyone given thought to a COBOL specific editor?
>
> What do you mean by this?? I figured we could come up with some
> syntax highlighting add-ons to the popular editors. vim,elvis,*shudder* emacs
> then ppl can just use their std editor.
> Did you have specific fucntionality that isnt covered by one of the above?
>
> My experience with *nix editors is limited to vi, so I'm not sure what the listed ones are capable of.  My list of needs would be to have the syntax highlighting that you mentioned, maybe something like VB.  Reserved words one color, verbs another, literals a third, variables a forth.  I would think this would require a little intelligence on the part of the editor to keep tabs on these elements.
>
> Your thoughts?

	elvis and vim (both vi clones) offer syntax highlighting, and of
course, emacs does everything, so I'm sure it has some kind of syntax highlight
support if you feel like writing enough lisp.  Pico doesn't support any of that,
and I don't know about jed or joe, but if people can't figure out vi or emacs,
well, sounds like their problem.  ;->

								JF

--
Justin Ferguson - Tech. Analyst, Sprint Paranet   jcfergus@sprintparanet.com