Re: [GNU-COBOL] math library questions

John J. Adelsberger III wrote :>

>> Already used doubles once. Moving on.

>To something else nonstandard?  WHY?!  Surely you don't think BCD is hard?

No, John I don't think BCD is hard. That isn't the issue.

>> Well just as a side note. COBOL does have a floatin=point module, which
>> is a required part of the intresic(ps) functions, thus the work is
>> not going to be wasted.

>Ok, but isn't it IEEE floating point?  If so, float and/or double are
>correct for it.

Wrong. The floating-point math has to occur on a standard Cobol number.

>mine than yours, you can't be a GNU project, period.  Now, if what you
whatever John.
>mean is that you don't want void functions, I'll be happy to return zero
>even from functions incapable of detecting errors to appease you:)
When did I mention a void function?? I think I layed out my
idea of good stds& practices below, and I didn't mention a void
function.

>> The basics are: Readiable and maintainable code.
>> Readable and maintainable by "anyone", novice and expert.

>If you think you can implement all the algorithms needed for COBOL in
>such a way that a novice has any chance of understanding them, even if
>written out in English, you're on drugs.  I can work to improve certain

Wrong. I am not on drugs. And it is possible. Just because you can't do
it, doesn't mean it isn't possible.

>things, but I don't pretend, for instance, that BCD packing is going to
>make any sense to people who can barely handle the concept of NULL
>terminated char* strings.  You shouldn't either.  All fantasies of a
>perfect world aside, some things are nontrivial.

Whatever John. If you can't follow the simple rules I layouted then
you can't help. I don't mind your help John, but I will not tolerate
shit code.  I gave only two simple rules, if they are such a problem then
go elsewhere.

Chad Slaughter  -- slaught at umr.edu
<PGP public key available upon request>