Re: [coldsync-hackers] Reporting conduit errors

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, John Deptuch wrote:
> The
> only problem that I'm having is that I can't figure out how to report an
> error on the Palm. I'm using the following:
>
> die "501 can't open your calendar";
>
> Coldsync show the error on the command line but the Palm reports "HotSync
> operation complete" with no errors listed when you press the Log button.
>
> Is there any way to have an error generated on the Palm when a conduit fails?
> In order to use Coldsync in daemon mode it would be really nice to have this.

	Agreed. Let's call it a missing feature.
	With Fetch and Dump conduits, you should be able to get away with
		die "501 blah"
but I wouldn't recommend that for Sync conduits.

	Unfortunately, right now ColdSync doesn't support what you're
trying to do, in two separate places.
	For one thing, the &ColdSync::EndConduit function in the conduit
Perl module doesn't take any arguments. It would be nice if it took an
optional three-digit status, and an optional error message. Currently, it
just returns a status of 201 (no error) to ColdSync.
	Secondly, ColdSync does read all of the status messages from the
conduit, but doesn't do anything with them (I did see a comment in there
that says,
		/* XXX - Do something intelligent */
so I guess this is a Known Issue).
	I suppose the right thing to do would be for ColdSync to check the
last status line printed by the conduit; if it's a 200-299 code, then the
log should just say "DatebookDB: OK". If it's an error, it should at the
very least say "DatebookDB: Error". If possible, it should append the
error message to the log, e.g. "DatebookDB: Error: can't open your
calendar".

--
Andrew Arensburger                      Actually, these _do_ represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      opinions of ooblick.com!