Re: [coldsync-hackers] Reporting conduit errors

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 03:52 pm, Andrew Arensburger wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, John Deptuch wrote:
> > The
> > only problem that I'm having is that I can't figure out how to report an
> > error on the Palm. I'm using the following:
> >
> > die "501 can't open your calendar";
> >
> > Coldsync show the error on the command line but the Palm reports "HotSync
> > operation complete" with no errors listed when you press the Log button.
> >
> > Is there any way to have an error generated on the Palm when a conduit
> > fails? In order to use Coldsync in daemon mode it would be really nice to
> > have this.
>
> 	Agreed. Let's call it a missing feature.
> 	With Fetch and Dump conduits, you should be able to get away with
> 		die "501 blah"
> but I wouldn't recommend that for Sync conduits.

What would the be the correct way of exiting from a conduit when an error is
encountered?  Most of the examples that are in the conduits directory that
come with the CVS version of the coldsync use die.

>         Secondly, ColdSync does read all of the status messages from the
> conduit, but doesn't do anything with them (I did see a comment in there
> that says,
>                /* XXX - Do something intelligent */
> so I guess this is a Known Issue).
Do you know if this is planned?  If not Alessandro Zummo had suggested using
dlp_AddSyncLogEntry to add a note to the hotsync log but that seems to only
be valid for sync flavour conduits and I really need a fetch dump flavour
conduit.  So is it possible to allow dlp_AddSyncLogEntry to function in a
dump or fetch conduit?

Thanks for your time.
John Deptuch