Re: [coldsync-hackers] Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:28:33 -0600

Thanks to all coldsync-hackers folks.
I've finally got succeeded to do a backup.

I've followed the procedure which is described by James.

  J-Widman@cornell-iowa.edu
/ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
> %su
> # vi /etc/usbd.conf
> [added this at the bottom -- modified from the 2.00 snapshot announce mail
> sent by andrew]
> device "Handspring Visor"
>         devname "ugen0"
>         vendor 0x082d
>         product 0x0100
>         release 0x0100
>         attach "/usr/local/bin/coldsync -t usb -p /dev/ugen0 -mb
> /usr/home/james/.palm/backup"
>
> # killall usbd
> # usbd
>
> <hit the hotsync button>
> <watched as all pdb's got backed up for the first time :) >

I've tested on coldsync-2.0.0-20010220.tar.gz.
As a result, I can do a backup, but I still can't
synchronize with my Visor(i.e. coldsync -ms).
Are there any way to synchronize with Visor by using usbd?

Also, I'll answer the questions.

  Andrew Arensburger <arensb+CShackers@ooblick.com>
/ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
> 	In addition, make sure that your kernel properly supports USB. I'm
> not sure which lines you'll need (I know next to nothing about USB), but
> take a look at the GENERIC and LINT config files.
> 	Does this problem occur only with ColdSync and your Visor, or also
> with other USB devices?

This problem occurs only with ColdSync and my Visor Platinum.
All other USB devices work perfectly.
I've tested:

 o USB Mouse     ... as ums0
 o USB Keyboard  ... as ukb0
 o USB Ether     ... as aue0
 o USB Joystick  ... as uhid0
 o USB Floppy    ... as umass0
 o USB Memory Stick reader ... as umass0

so I suppose my kernel supports USB.
My kernel configuration file includes these entry.

  device      uhci
  device      usb
  device      ugen
  device      uhid
  device      ukbd
  device      ulpt
  device      umass
  device      ums
  device      aue

And dmesg shows as following:

  uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xfca0-0xfcbf
         irq 9 at device 7.2 on pci0
  usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
  usb0: USB revision 1.0
  uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

Also,

  Andrew Arensburger <arensb+CSHackers@ooblick.com>
/ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
> 	It's possible that you also need to be able to read and write
> /dev/ugen0.2 (or perhaps one of the other /dev/ugen0.* devices). If
> so, then this needs to be documented.
> 	If you could play around with this and let me know what you
> find, I would appreciate it.

I've tested this by

 # chmod a+rw /dev/ugen*
 # chmod a+rw /dev/usb*

but nothing changed... ColdSync still can't make connection from
the command line, so I must make connection by usbd.
(And thus, I can't use a synchronize option.)
I wish to synchronize my Visor with my FreeBSD box.

Anyway, I really appreciate your kindness and
I wish I can make help to support "FreeBSD + Visor Platinum".
--
Akira Funahashi/[funa@funa.org]