Re: gnubol: Cobol mode in Emacs Lisp

Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> Tim Josling wrote:
> >
> > This may be your answer:
> >
> > Subject: Re: [GNU-COBOL] Quiet on the list?
> > Date:    Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:13:40 -0500
> > From:    Matthew Vanecek <mev0003@unt.edu>
> >
> > Boris Kortiak wrote:
> > >

> > > 1)  Has anyone given thought to a COBOL specific editor?
> >
> > Emacs, of course. What else would you use??  I have a cobol.el
> > that
> > works quite nicely, if you remember that column numbering starts
> > at 0
> > and not at 1. :)
> >
> > If anyone wants it, let me know.
> >
> > Geoff Hull wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if there is an implementation of a "cobol-
> > > mode.el" or somesuch?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >                Geoff
>
> I've a copy at work. I'll bring it home and post it. I have problems
> with the syntax highlighting, though---so many reserved words takes a
> while on long programs.  I don't know enough about lisp to do it
> programatically, though.

Here's my copy of cobol.el.   It's kindof a work in progress.  Syntax
highlighting is via regexp, which makes it take a while on large files.
I've enabled lazy font locking on files over about 130K or so, so it's
not *too* bad.  I'd like to know how some of these other programs do it,
that seem to do it almost instantaneously!

I'm poking at indenting now, to make it more C-like re behavior.  I've
got it so that no matter where you are on a line, if you hit TAB, it
will appropriately indent the line.  It's not 100% accurate, but such is
the nature of COBOL. :(  I haven't quite figured out how to make TAB do
only line indenting, and not do TABbing.  That's the c-mode and
lisp-mode behavior.  If anyone knows lisp, and can put together some
improvements, please please please let me know.  I'm good at reading
reference manuals, but Lisp is suchabitch to work with.

Think my new email address has finally settled down.  Feel like I'm
stuck on AOL or something, with this @Home stuff. :(

ciao,
--
Matthew Vanecek