gnubol: When will we have a compiler

Someone asked when I expect to have a working compiler.

In the first year I produced 25,000 lines of code. However that
number was depressed because of the large amount of R&D that I
had to do

- trying out various parser generators
- trying out various lexical analysis strategies
- writing the preprocessor which was messy and I was learning how
to do parsers
- integrating into GCC (3-4 months)

I woudl expect to be able to do about 60,000 lines per year from
now on. I estimate that a working compiler will be about about
100,000 to 150,000 lines of code. This means 18-30 months to go -
late 2001 to late 2002. Just in time to start work on the new
standard, Cobol 2002.

Within that timeframe though I think the Cobol nucleus is only
about another 40,000 lines and so this should be done by early
2001. This calculation assumes it is all up to me. To the extent
people contribute this will speed things up.

Yim Josling