RE: [Fwd: gnubol: Record delimiter clause and parse order]

"true" ASCII (7-bit) is pretty standard (and actually has an ANSI/ISO
Standard behind it).  This is X'00' thru X'7F'.  Extended ASCII is QUITE
variable and how X'80' thru X'FF' are interpreted does vary from  "place to
place".

EBCDIC is determined (or at least my experience with it) by an IBM
"controlled" code-page - which also varies from locale to locale (and not
always in the Unix sense of LOCALE).

Particular problems show up fairly quickly by what hex value is used for the
US Dollar Sign (as a PICTURE editing symbol - in source code).