Re: gnubol: gcc compile error w/COBOL

Matthew,

(light goes on in head). Run don't walk to the GCC site and
download the latest snapshot. See also below. I definitely should
have mentioned that before!

Tim Josling

Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> I'm using gcc 2.95.2, so it's pretty new...
>
> Which version of gcc did you write this for?

The weekly snapshot 2000/04/24 is the latest successful build.
This explains many of your problems.

> Maybe I should try that

Yes. In the timeframe for this compiler, GCC 3 will be out there
so that is what I am targetting. GCC 3 is still under
construction. I have updated the build instructions to make sure
this is clearly documented now, and will upload later this
weekend.

> ...I personally don't mind poking around for
> ideas and such, and reading other people's code to see how they did it.
> But I would rather the code be completely ours... I'd personally prefer
> something like the LGPL.

In theory I disagree, but in practice I agree. I know how painful
it has been reusng the GCC code generation so I would only do
this where there is a big win. There may be some like GMP for
large arithmetic, and DBM type packages for indexed IO that are
well packaged enough and big enough to reuse providing the
licence is compatible.

As for licencing, the compiler is GPL but the runtime needs to be
LGPL, and legally you cannot mix and match. So if we use GCC code
generation, the compiler has to be GPL, which I'm happy with. The
runtime needs to be LGPL so people can use it widely.