Re: gnubol: GNU Ada

Agreed, this is something well worth considering for the future, but I feel that
there are more pressing issues to be considered for now (such as ACCEPT
variable-name FROM DATE).

Most COBOL implementations that I know of using DBCS (including the ones which I
am actively involved in) use a GUI front end, running under an ethnic version of
Windows for the client. The server software does not need to know the contents
of the data with which it is being fed, only that the receiving data fields are
big enough. Therefore, to enter an 8-byte alphanumeric field in DBCS, it is
sufficient to define the field as pic x(16).

For numeric fields, the solution is simpler - the Chinese, Japanese etc. all use
Arabic numerals in business anyway - in fact, I don't think that there is a DBCS
implementation for numerals in any COBOL compiler.

I doubt that XML will add any complications as, again, the same principles will
apply.

Regards

Fred Neale

RKRayhawk@aol.com on 30/12/99 05:48:23 PM