Re: gnubol: Problem 10

In a message dated 12/27/99 3:39:50 PM EST, wmklein@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<
 FYI,
   Some compilers wait until the end of Working-Storage (and Linkage Section
 if appropriate) to issue a message about "referenced data item is not
 defined".  HOWEVER, the "nicer" compilers issue the message at the point the
 reference is made.  Obviously, this must require either a LONG "look-ahead"
 or a two-pass syntax checker.

 Bill Klein
   wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

If we can stay on the track of associating a line number with every
diagnostic, then we can eventually constuct an algorithm that makes messages
show up where we want them. So that they 'appear' in an 'early' part of a
compile even if not fully detected until a review at the end of some whole
division.  That needs to be designed into the preprocessors line number
enumeration scheme, and the diagnostics API from the outset; even if the
SORT/linked list is not implemented until later.

Best Wishes
Bob Rayhawk
RKRayhawk@aol.com