Re: gnubol: problem 9

In a message dated 12/27/99 1:41:34 AM EST, tej@melbpc.org.au writes:

<<
 INSPECT a tallying x for all y ZZZ.
 INSPECT a tallying X for all y ZZZ for leading z.

 So ZZZ could be something else you are counting or something you
 are putting the next count into. I think.

 Take out the magic tokens and see the conflicts, if you have
 bison which I think you said you do.

Well I trust you are correct. I have bison and I can not believe how quiet it
is when it scans your rules. Positively erie!

But my COBOL manual does not say that you can have a list where your example
implies that you think you can:

  INSPECT a tallying x for all y ZZZ.

Seems to be not right to me. Am I wrong? Does the standard say otherwise?

We can get
  INSPECT a tallying x for all y x2 for all y2 x3 for all y3

but that is just two data references on different phrases.  Generally, a rule
like

lhs :  INSPECT data_ref tallying  tally_data_ref_recurse

tally_data_ref_recurse :
   tally_data_ref %prec PREC_HIGHER_THAN_DATA_REF
 | tally_data_ref_recurse tally_data_ref %prec PREC_HIGHER_THAN_DATA_REF

tally_data_ref :
 data_ref for all data_ref

should get the phrases to reduce quick enough.  This is over simplification,
as I have not sketched in the BEFORE/AFTER phrases.  But my only point is
that I do not think the ALL/LEADING/CHARACTER phrase sports data_reference
lists; but only single items.

The same for other phrases of this statement. The phrases can repeat but the
data items look singular to me.

Best Wishes,
Bob Rayhawk
RKRayhawk@aol.com