Re: gnubol: Siemans COBOL2000 - SEARCH and EVALUATE results

At 11:14 AM 12/13/99 -0500, Michael McKernan wrote:

>I suspect that the terminator was not assumed at the same point in
>each listing.  Too bad their diagnostic is not more specific.

As well it should not.  In the first case the WHEN OTHER tells the compiler
*unambiguously* that an END-EVALUATE has to follow the next statement
block.  In the second case, regardless of indentation (which means nothing
in the free-form), the last WHEN rightly belongs as part of the EVALUATE
and *not* as part of the SEARCH.

The period terminates all statements within the sentence (and the only
thing to which I compare it, is the way a square bracket balances all
unbalanced left parens in certain LISP implementations :-)

Regards,
Jonathan