gnubol: IBM flags nested conditionals as error (RC=8) but recovers OK

At 10:41 AM 12/6/99 EST, RKRayhawk@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/6/99 8:29:16 AM EST, TIMJOSLING@prodigy.net writes:
	<snip>

>Which looks vaguely like the general idea I suggest that even when we
>find outright errors in code we should flip commutable error switches but
>still hand semantics as much as we can so that it can do it's checking too
>(to get as much from each compile as possible).

May I concur?   A compiler has *two* primary functions by which its value
is measured: translation and diagnostics.  As a development tool, a
compiler that quits without sufficient error recovery is of little value.

Regarding the proper location for the recovery, or the appropriate
"binding" of the [NOT] SIZE ERROR phrase, I would recommend following the
repair to COBOL offered by the current Committee Draft, which binds it to
the nearest arithmetic lacking END-verb.  As far as I know, the ANSI & ISO
COBOL committees have agreed to forge ahead with consensus/majority
decisions taking effect in the next standard, rather than forced as
interpretations of the 1985/1989/1992 standard, but those decisions do
point the future way of COBOL.

Regards,
Jonathan