RE: gnubol: Nested Conditionals, Extensions and Warnings

 <snip>
> >was on the point of giving up.
>
> COBOL-20XX, allows the procedure division or any section to begin
> without a
> paragraph name.  I'm no expert in writing grammar, but it seems to me that
> should be easy to implement, except for providing the warning.
>
> This brings up a question:  Do we need to warn extensions to COBOL-85 if
> the code is valid in the draft?  I say we don't -- what purpose would be
> served?

Interesting question. From a PRACTICAL point of view, I can't see spending
much time/effor on this. From a "legalistic" point of view, if you want to
claim to be a "conforming" compiler to the '85 Standard (with amendments),
then you do need to flag extensions. Personally, I would say that it is up to
those doing the work - as long as the "documentation" makes it clear which
you have decided.

Bill Klein
  wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com