Re: gnubol: How do we parse this language, anyway?

Try this one:

 identification division.
 program-id. test1.
 data division.
 working-storage section.
 01  a pic 9 value 9.
 01  b pic 9 value 9.
 procedure division.
 p1.
     add 1 to a
         size error
            display 'size error 1'
             add 1 to b
         not size error
            display "not size error 2"
     .
     display "end program".
     exit program.

Fujitsu COBOL V3 says:

** DIAGNOSTIC MESSAGE ** (TEST1)
D:\AATEJ\S\COBOL\TEST1.COB 12: JMN2509I-S  CONDITIONAL STATEMENT 'ADD' IS SPECIFIED
WHERE IMPERATIVE STATEMENT MUST BE SPECIFIED. ADD STATEMENT ASSUMED VALID.
STATISTICS: HIGHEST SEVERITY CODE=S, PROGRAM UNIT=1
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'D:\PROGRAMS\COBOLV3\PCOBOL32\COBOL32.EXE' : return code
'0x2'
Stop.

So FJ thinks the not size error binds with the second add. This is with standards
violation reporting on. Same with it turned off. My experience with FJ cobol is that
I have not found any bugs. Whatever else you may not like about it, it is very
solid.

The more data points the better.

Tim Josling