Re: gnubol: refmod again

Just so it won't feel so bad later, I'll flag these valuable exchanges with
the note that we will be better off just using precedence (in the grammar
rule sense), and not hoping to do much in COBOL with associativity.  Maybe
you can get somewhere with COMPUTE, but I fear that idiosyncracies in
subscript (like unary positive) could cause you grief.

But even at that precedence can usually be represented in rule structures.
And that, rather than associativity specification, leaves you more flexible
for special case handling and for error productions. This is at odds with the
evolving ethic of being PCCTesque, if I might koine a phrase. In the end you
will have to undo the concise rules, and lay it all out brutishly.

If you don't then you have either fooled yourself into thinking you got
things done quickly, when you have left the whole project to semantics, or
you will have difficulty righting the parser(s) in such a way that they do
not generate lots of confusing error messages down stream from one or two
minor errors.

Particularly, IMHO, it will not be a good plan to try to conquer
qualification with operator precedence defined by means of associativity. At
the level of references we should use brute force elaboration of rules to
isolate as many problems as possible, and keep the verb constructs moving
forward.

Best Wishes
Bob Rayhawk
RKRayhawk@aol.com