Re: Parsing nested statements: was Re: gnubol: subsets

Conditional Encounters of The Implicit Kind

At
http://www.s390.ibm.com/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/IGYLR201/6%2e1%2e7%2e5?S
HELF=

you can find

"6.1.7.5 Implicit Scope Terminators

"At the end of any sentence, an IMPLICIT SCOPE TERMINATOR is a separator
period that terminates the scope of all previous statements not yet
terminated.

"An unterminated conditional statement cannot be contained by another
statement. However, a scope terminator will be assumed just prior to the
next phrase of the containing statement.

"Note: Except for nesting conditional statements within IF statements,
nested statements must be imperative statements, and must follow the
rules for imperative statements. You should not nest conditional
statements. "

So look real careful at the sentence: "However, a scope terminator will be
assumed just prior to the next phrase of the containing statement. "

If you are not ready for it, it will do a number on your mind.  If you have
already seen the light, it is obvious.  The conditional clauses have no
ordinality.  Simple imperatives can be expressed in the interior without
their own explicit scope terminator as long as they don't hope to have a
conditional clause or so of their own that needs to be scoped to the
interior. That flexibility is accomplished by an 'assumed' scope terminator
just prior to the conditional clause that belongs out at the outer arithmetic
statement. Scouts honor!

Yet such an 'assumption' can not be committed until lookahead confirms that
there is no explicit scope terminator on the interior, the absence or
presence of which might be miles away. A bit of a Rubic's cude ain't it?!

This quote is not from the standard but from a field manual that depicts the
code base we need to consider. All material at the site is proprietary.

More than any other GNU project, it is the code base that counts for this
effort. The standard is the guide but we must remain committed to the owners
of the code base.

Legacy code is real even if the ink is still wet. Crossing platforms is what
the industry is turning into. COBOL is front and center. And in the center is
quite possibly a mix of ideas.

Best Wishes
Bob Rayhawk
RKRayhawk@aol.com

P.S. When we are really ready we will talk about packed numbers, and
convergence. That will be fun.