gnubol: isolating INTERNET DIVISION

Thanks to Glen Glen Colbert for ESQL attachment postings., a useful study in
itself.

Incidentally, thanks for making it a .TXT file. That practice, intentional or
not, actually helps prevent viruses, because such files are unlikely to come
alive (in contrast to say a .DOC file).

Please permit this cross post of ideas, for actual extension of COBOL within
GNU projects.

I recommend a special internet division, with clearly labeled sections.  This
will permit distinct parser(s) for those sections.  Generally these must be
rip and tear extensions that could be suppressed by conservative users.
Anyway, I suggest ...

INTERNET DIVISION.
HTML SECTION.
    <yada_yada> wonderments of all sorts
    </yada_yada>
XML SECTION.
    !DTD...
SQL SECTION.
    DEFINE CURSOR ...

Such sectioning will allow isolation of syntax curiosities, and possibly
provide for 'borrowing'  other GNU successes. The DIVISION will allow further
compartmentalization, and possibly fairly easy high level suppression.

(I know that SQL is not strictly internet per se.  But I am lumping it here
for the exact purpose of isolation.  Of these three, SQL is the one must
likely to need yet more facilitation in the procedure division. So, also to
help set a concept in place, I would suggest the idea that an SQL SECTION
_also_ be permitted _in_the_procedure_division.)

The SQL section would have to have paragraphs (let's say), and invocation
would be something like
  PERFORM yada-dee-yada-paragraph IN SQL.
  PERFORM yada-dee-yada-paragraph OF SQL.

Such broad strokes should leave us room to experiment, and to rip out
anything that is not  for early release, or which users want to build without.

Thus one important guidelines for preprocessors and parsers, is that language
defined section names from the archaic period can not be used as section
names in the procedure division, but certain hyper modern section names can
(an in some cases must) be used in the procedure division. WIth the suggested
concept we also need a mechanism to prevent fall through of a SQL procedure
division section, and a perform x thru y can not mix procedure types (now
ain't that fun!).  One possible way to do that is to say that you are not
even allowed to PERFORM SQL section, but only its paragraphs, those
paragraphs would be of the type SQL-type....

At this stage in life on planet earth it would be pretty far fetch say that
HTML is not COmmon or not Busines Oriented Language scripting. I personnaly
believe that XML is the single most important evolution of the next for shops
that have mainframe data repositories. But this note is not intended as
advocacy, just an idea of how to isolate experimentation.

Best Wishes
Bob Rayhawk
RKRayhawk@aol.com