[GNU-COBOL] got misfiled, compulsive replying

Chad Slaughter wrote:

> >> Numeric-edited fields and alphanumeric-edited fields would be
> >> particularly enjoyable.  Floating or fixed insertion symbols (+, - or
> >> $), zero suppression with blank or asterisk replacement, CR and/or DB
> >> symbols, BLANK WHEN ZERO, and so forth.
> >
> >These would be a property of the instance of the display method, rather
> >than the data, I think (coming to this with no experience of COBOL
> >whatsoever.)
>
> I wish. =) Unfortuantly some of these things effect calculations.
> THere are just a ton of little gotchas with the cobol standard...
> I agree with most things you are saying, I am not trying to diswade you.
> I had the exact smae thoughts you are having..then I read the standard..
> that was problabyu my first mistake. maybe I'll correct that.

The standard is available in libraries, I now have three reams of
paper with it printed on it from a pdf file, and a CD on the way
to my PO box.   -- Could someone send me some some example code, or
point me to a set of simple and non-simple COBOL programs in the
dialect of their choice?  And the URL for that siemens manual again,
even if it is in Deutsche?  That in itself will be interesting

> >How do people get into COBOL programming?  It's never offered in schools
>
> Blackmail.

ROTFL

I suppose I am volunteering to write another cobol parser then,
very context-dependent, without trying to invent constructs beyond
whatever blocking is already in there, whatever it looks like.