Re: [GNU-COBOL] PIC -> edit masks -> a standard large numeric representation

If we held everything as extensible ascii strings and
did decimal math on them it would be slow but we wouldn't have
to write the same methods multiple times.

I believe arbitrary precision arithmatic routines that
hold their data in ascii in *char strings exist, if not they
aren't that hard to write, esp. on top of a mfc cstring-like
data type that takes care of the memory for you.

And implementing all the math functions in the
standard wouldn't be that hard afterwards either, each one
would be something like

convert from spelled out string
perform math function using native function
convert back to spelled out string