Re: [GNU-COBOL] PIC

Ken Brakey wrote:

> Fred Mobach wrote:
>
> > > to move into a structure you have to qualify e.g.
> > > MOVE read-data TO LAST-NAME OF (IN) ADDRESS-BOOK  ---- or
> > > MOVE read-data TO LAST-NAME OF (IN) ADDRESS-KEY-0
> > > OF or IN is used interchangeably in this instance.
> >
> > Sorry, qualifying is only needed if a data name is defined more than once.
>
> You have your choice. Do it NOW, or next week when management wants it.
> Also whether or not you have to maintain your own code.
> Also how lazy you are, what's two more words?
> Besides, saves future problems with legacy, they might dig you out if your grave just to kick you :).

Sorry, I just pointed to the fact that qualification is not _needed_ according to the standard. And to
counter your statements :

First, I'm the management here in my company :-). That making it relatively simple, isn't it ?
Second, this pratice is in use for more than 25 years and works still very well, even on packages which
are supported for about 17 years. Name it experience.
It's not that I'm lazy, but the limitation of the data name length in Cobol of 30 bytes strucked me many
times. And the use of long data names serves the reading, but not if you're also using qualifying.

OK, lets continue on the Cobol compiler and not programming habits. Afterall we have to support all
possibilities.

Regards,

Fred