Re: [GNU-COBOL] New to COBOL

Fred Mobach wrote :>

>A long time ago I started with some documentation in this mailinglist on this
>topic and asked if anybody was interested. As nobody was I stopped submissions.
>If anyone is interested now I'll restart those submissions (there is already a
>lack of social life :-) ).

I apologize for not expressing interest. I was very interested in each of the
articles you sent and saved them off for reference.
I found them quite enlightening. I didnt mena to discourage you.

I must say they wre quite heady in there content, which made me light
headed at times. =) But well worth it.

Maybe you should continue them. and we could build a web text repository out of
them, instead of sending them to the list. post a simepl update message.

We have web space, if you have the time to write it up.
if you dont know html, no problme. Actual, I might prefer you not write them
in html, maybe just plain ascii. ( or docbook/xml if you are feeling frisky =)

which leads me to my next question...

The problem how to get everyone a copy of the std without killing my bank acct?

Also, am i was looking quickly at the std copyright disclaim stuff...it appears
that we could write our own programming manual and quote/refernce the
std without problems as long as we acknowledge the std...
so i think we may be able to interpt cobol..and get a copy of the std out there
is ppl witha std were to paraphrase maybe...hmmm..i guess this is somethign
we shoudl think/discuss for about 5 minutes...what about docs for using
the langauge?? how do we go abut writing up a users/programmers guide
to our tool??  comments??

So we need a programming manual, refernece guide.
Fred, you seem like a untapped wealth of info.
Combine your already written explain ations of certain cobol features.
with addtion clearifcations and additions form the std where neccessary.
and we might have our selfs a programmers/users manual...
maybe the ppl with std, could paraphrase...re-work sections of the std.

Need to look into how to go aobut doing this. I know the other vendors like
micro focus have quite extensive explanations in there manuals, even syntax
diagrams...but those books are not quite up to par with the stand especially
on the more bizzare features...

am rambling...and this is the last one, sorry to fill up everyones
mail box. with crap from me. Its late.

Chad Slaughter  -- slaught at advancenet.net

Chad Slaughter  -- slaught at advancenet.net