[GNU-COBOL] Parser generators for COBOL

Having been through the experience of using bison to parse a few
COBOL verbs for the preprocessor, I think it would be good to
have a more powerful parser generator. In particular I had
trouble with the identifier construct, having to write lots of
ugly buggy C code to hack the token values so bison could cope.

I know Laura etc have been doing some research on the parser
generators out there. I had a play with btyacc and apart from the
sparse documentation it looks quite good. Would you mind sharing
the research you have done, with us? What PGs should we
consider/avoid and why?

Having completed the preprocessor I am keen to start on the
compiler proper. What is the situation at present? Are we still
waiting on the parser generator research? Can anything else be
done in the meantime?

Tim Josling