Re: [GNU-COBOL] math library questions

John J. Adelsberger III wrote :>

>> The goal is a correct implementation of teh Ansi 85 std.
>> and thus a vaild COBOL implementation.

>Ok, then please do explain to me why we've got fischer working on a math
>library that is guaranteed to fail to meet the standard?  If you're going

Please read the other mails I sent out.
You have to take small steps in software development.

>to be nonstandard, you might as well use doubles, and if you're going to

Already used doubles once. Moving on.

>do any work to try to improve on doubles, you might as well do it RIGHT with
>a BCD library.  I've offered to write one if we can't find one, but I was

Well just as a side note. COBOL does have a floatin=point module, which
is a required part of the intresic(ps) functions, thus the work is
not going to be wasted.

>basically told to go fuck myself.  As you can imagine, being told that
>when I offered to write something the project HAS to have in order to be
>COBOL dampened my enthusiasm considerably.

Well, I don't know anything about that. There is a BCD library that
is apart of the GNU bc package.  Which is what we might be using in the future.
It currently has some issues that need to be worked out with the
maintainers of that package.

On a side note. John, I welcome your help on the project BUT you
will follow our coding standards and practices with out argument.
If you are willing to do this, there are plenty of things for you
to do.

Note: we don't have the std & practices in writing, but John you
know what we want, and we know how you write.
But the std & practice will be formalized as we have time.

The basics are: Readiable and maintainable code.
Readable and maintainable by "anyone", novice and expert.

later,

Chad Slaughter  -- slaught at umr.edu
<PGP public key available upon request>