[GNU-COBOL] objective statement

Here is the beginnings of an objectives statement for the project.

file: cobol/doc/dev/objectives
--Begin

Creating a GNU COBOL compiler

First, create a COBOL to C translator in Java, using SableCC, a Java-based
compiler compiler.  This will teach us more about the COBOL language and
provide a useful product in the interim.  SableCC's language description
syntax is very clean and will make it easier to understand the syntax and
semantics of COBOL.  We also want a maintainable project, not just a parser
that works, which is why we are choosing to use SableCC.  The time spent now
will also be used to learn more about the runtime libraries that a COBOL
compiler and the emitted C code will access.  The runtime library code will
be used both in the translator project and when we go to the gcc framework.

Then, write a flex/bison compiler that will fit the gcc backend.  Then, after
we know more about what the requirements are for a COBOL compiler, we will
write a "standard" flex and bison interface and fit it to the GNU back end.
Since there has been a shown demand for a COBOL to C translator, this is now
also a product that might be good to have and the SableCC work will not be
solely a learning experience.  Once we are happy with the translator product,
we can look at writing a standard front end or the project described below.

We also want to investigate newer technologies for non C-like languages.
This may not take the form of a new compiler compiler, but may consist of
some smaller tools to work together with bison to make development of
projects that require multiple parsers easier and maybe to make bison source
easier to maintain.

--End

--
   .. Laura Tweedy .. tweedy@umr.edu ..
"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."