Re: [coldsync-hackers] ColdSync::PDB and syncing with web-enabled groupware

I think that sync conduits tend to get something of a bad rap for complexity. They're actually extremely simple to write from the API

d'you know why? I can tell you: it's not documented. and pointing to the
source code of coldsync itself is not exactly what I call motivating -
the fetch/dump conduits on the other hand are fairly well documented,
with examples and everything, so people just assume it must be horribly
complicated, whithout even checking really. at least, that's how it was
for me yesterday when I skimmed over the coldsync conduit how-to (BTW,
why is the page for the link to the first page missing in the how-to?
it's very irritating.)

I ended up ripping a whole load of examples to pieces in order to understand the Fetch / dump process. I found only a passing mention to SPC in the documentation, and assumed therefore that it must be very difficult. My MySQL conduits ended up between 15K to 27K, which is pretty scary for my first Perl project.

I have only found out because of this email about the Coldsync::SPC module, and having looked at it, and having had someone say they are easier than fetch / dumps, I think I would have given up.

Regards,

Marco.