[coldsync-hackers] Sync'ing a non-palm device using HotSync/ColdSync

Hi all,

I'm in the process of writing some code (using the ColdSync libraries pconn and pdb) that emulates a palm and allows me to synchronise my Linux/Opie device with Outlook using HotSync and PocketMirror (I'd prefer not to, of course, but that's what my workplace supports).

My work so far has focussed on getting my emulated "palm" to talk to ColdSync. Once a significant subset of functionality is in place, I'll tweak it to work with HotSync (and Pocketmirror). Needless to say, the ColdSync libraries have been invaluable in getting this to work.

Now, my question is this: a large subset of the functionality is common (e.g SLP, DLP etc), but requiring minor changes to make it behave like the palm (instead of the desktop). Should I (1) Submit the required patches to integrate the common functionality (into libpconn) and break the rest out into a new library/project, or (2) Simply break the whole lot out into a new library/project? (duplicating code).

There are advantages either way, but I'm keen to hear what others think.

Suggestions and ideas welcome!

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Ferry Hendrikx