Re: [coldsync-hackers] Regression testing / scripting POSE

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Michael Hope wrote:
> I dont know if this has been discussed, but I thought you might be
> interested in the scripting capabilities of POSE for testing coldsync.  I
> only recently came across this, and have found no reference to it on the
> net, but there are a set of libraries in the Scripting/ directory of the
> latest POSE that let you run arbitrary commands via RPC, including enough
> support to start a serial sync or a network sync.

	Sorta-kinda. Regression-testing would be an excellent thing to
have. The main hangup so far has been that I use XCopilot (I played with
POSE for about 15 minutes and couldn't quite get it to work), but it
doesn't appear to be possible to run HotSync from a script.
	If you could play around with POSE and come up with a way to do
this with automatically, that'd be welcome.

> I was also wondering if anyone can recommend a reference for the HotSync
> protocol (DLP and below).

	RTFS :-( The comments in include/pconn/<protocol>.h might prove
enlightening. There should also be a fair amount of documentation at
www.palmos.com, though I don't have a reference close at hand right now.

> This is what I currently understand:

	Hurm. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of the protocol
anymore (it's been a while). For what it's worth, libpconn represents my
best effort at implementing the DLP, CMP, PADP, and SLP protocols. And
yes, I've read Flynn's articles.
	I may be able to answer your questions after I've had a chance to
review the code. Or maybe not.

	Also, the XID is a bit confusing in that it's really a PADP
attribute, even though it's stored in the SLP header. Sort of as if the
TCP sequence number were stored in the IP header, if that helps.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      Actually, these _do_ represent the
arensb@ooblick.com                      opinions of ooblick.com!