Re: [Fwd: gnubol: Record delimiter clause and parse order]

Just a few words about this :

Tim Josling a écrit :

> - fixed length = records stacked one after another, no record
> header, no delimiter.

We use IBM Cobol for AIX (4.2.1 and 4.3.2), with both Variable an Fixed records.
IBM implementation of the fixed length is :
- no header
- Unix-like end-of-line delimiter between each record,
- this delimiter isn't included in the Cobol DCLLIB of the file (the programmer
never see it),
- CR/LF files give one empty record every two records (also true if exotic
caracters - at least ASCII<32 - are included in the record),

I don't know MF Cobol, but the way IBM implements Fixed-length files permits the
use of the producted files directly in Unix tools as sort, awk, grep, wc, etc.
That's at least "useful".

Hope I understood part of this interesting thread...

--
« Notre tête est ronde pour permettre
 à la pensée de changer de sens. »             Sébastien Ducléroir