Re: gnubol: STD - What do you think *should* happen

"William M. Klein" wrote:
<snip>

> 01 GROUP1.
>      05 ALPHA-EDIT   PIC X/X.
> 01 ELEM1                  PIC XX.
> MOVE "ABC" TO GROUP1
> MOVE ALPHA-EDIT TO ELEM1
>
>    ****
>
>  The question is what the 2nd move "should" do.  I can think of (at least) 3
> possibilities:

<snip>

Bill,

The action I'm most familiar with is where the 05 level definition is ignored
during the first move to the group level so that both GROUP1 and ALPHA-EDIT
contains "ABC".  (If the move were to ALPHA-EDIT then both would contain "A/B".)
After the second move, ELEM1 would contain "AB" with the compiler generating a
warning at this move to the effect that "... TRUNCATION MAY OCCUR ...".