RE: gnubol: The many different types of numbering systems used in Cobol.

How about my answering the EASIEST part of this whole note.

EXAMINE was *not* a part of the '74 Standard (although many vendors included
it as an "extension").  Therefore, the addition of the INSPECT CONVERTING
option did cover this functionality (while the '74 only supported INSPECT
REPLACING).

I am not positive whether EXAMINE was or was not in the '68 Standard - or
whether it has always been an extension.

Bill Klein
  wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

  <snip>