RE: gnubol: Re: Determining free-form or fixed-form referenceformat.

I am still a little confused.  You do know that both ":" and ">" are already
part of the COBOL language?  (There is NOTHING that can/will change that.)

As far as "comments" in source code goes,  personally, I know of no two
languages that use the same "indicators" for this.  Again, obviously, an "*"
in column 7 *must* stay a comment indicator as long as fixed-form reference
format is kept in COBOL (which because of the "obsolete" rules, will be at
least two more revisions of COBOL).

As far as current with "evolving technology",

A) XML wasn't even a consideration when this revision work began (you could
raise the issue NOW, but that would probably delay the revision until the
"next" evolving" technology comes along)

B) You would have a REAL hard time convincing J4/WG4 that XML compatibility
was more important than compatibility with any of a NUMBER of other
"languages" - each of which uses a different comment indicator (as far as I
know).

Bill Klein
  wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com