RE: gnubol: Search and Evaluate tests

  <snip>
> ... Least obvious but important the SEARCH does not have
> an explicit scope terminator, instead it has a period (EOS)
> implicit scope terminator.  Your Test2 suggests that this problem causes no
> difficulty for
> the compiler you used: the increasingly respected Fujtisu compiler which,
> IIRC, descends from the Ryan-MacFarland compiler, and is a mature product.

Test2 was SUPPOSED to be ANSI conforming - so I would expect any conforming
compiler to accept it.  The "nested" statements are all imperative (via scope
terminator) and the containing statement is a conditional which is terminated
by a period (full-stop) so it is conforming.  Is there some reason that you
thought that some compiler would NOT allow it? (or am I missing your point -
on Test2?)  Test4 is another question entirely.  It is a case where being a
"human" looking at it, I can figure out what each WHEN belongs with - but the
Standard doesn't allow them, and I wouldn't expect a conforming compiler to
either (unless as an extension that FIPS/ANSI flagging would pick up).

Bill Klein
  wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com