RE: gnubol: Re: Magic tokens

  <snip>

> All of the tools will be bedevilled by the fact that WHEN OTHER, and
> END_EVALUATE are optional as is END-SEARCH; so we are at epsilon
> heaven here.
> I think atleast one WHEN is required in a SEARCH (which may help! because
> explication of one prior to recurse will distinguish it perhaps)
> but actually
> no WHEN is required in an EVALUATE.

I think your problem here (again) is your trying to allow conditional
statements where an imperative is required.  The END-EVALUATE is *only*
optional if the EVALUATE is terminated by a period.  If you have:

  Search ..
    At End ...
      Evaluate ...
          When   .... *> may or may not be here
   When *> what about this one?

That "questionable" WHEN (in a conforming compiler) absolutely positively
MUST go with the EVALUATE - unless there is a preceding END-EVALUATE.
Similarly, if you have

  Evaluate ...
    When ...
     Search ...
   When ... *> what about this one?

That questionable WHEN (in a conforming compiler) absolutely positively MUST
go with the SEARCH - unless there is a preceding END-SEARCH.  More
importantly, if you had

  Evaluate A
    When 1
       Search Whatever
          At End
               Display "with Search"
          When X = Y
              Display "whatever"
   When 2
        Display "Illegal"
 End-Evaluate

is just plain "illegal" (noncorming) syntax.  That "When 2" just canNOT
legally go with the Evaluate.  (Note that the "When X = Y" is actually even
optional in the SEARCH statement - without the ALL keyword)

Bill Klein
  wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com