Re: Parsing nested statements: was Re: gnubol: subsets

  Bob> In a message dated 11/25/99 1:18:17 AM EST, mck@tivoli.mv.com
  Bob> writes: << It looks to me like they're saying "you're not
  Bob> allowed to write a conditional statement within another
  Bob> statement, but if you do, we're going to assume that it's been
  Bob> terminated."
  >>>

  Bob> They are not.

  Bob> They are saying that they will assume that it is not
  Bob> explicitly scope terminated, and that they need to assume an
  Bob> implicit scope terminator pronto, to leave open the
  Bob> possibility that the encountered ON SIZE ERROR clause glues
  Bob> outward not inward. But they don't glue it yet.

  Bob> If you write what looks like a conditional statement in a
  Bob> conditional statement they will try to find its explicit scope
  Bob> terminator. If that is not found then the _inner_ arithmetic
  Bob> (or I/O) is 'implicitly' terminated, which glues the ON SIZE
  Bob> clause to the _outer_ statement.

Bob, I trust that someone among our fifty-two members will be able to
comply with Tim's request to run the experiment for us.  Let's let
the mainframe compiler be the arbiter.  Ultimately the compiler
determines what is in the code base, right?

Best regards,

Mike